With the warm weather comes the air conditioning season. To keep your AC running efficiently and effectively, you should take some basic maintenance steps to prepare it for summer. In this article, we will discuss 10 tips to help you get your AC ready for maximum efficiency.
1) Check the air filter: The first thing you’ll want to do is check the air filter in your unit. Clean or replace any dirty filters as they can reduce airflow and put a strain on your system. It’s also important to check that there are no obstructions blocking the intake of fresh air into the unit.
2) Clear debris from outside units: Remove any debris or foliage that may be surrounding your outdoor condenser unit. Leaves, dirt, and other debris can reduce the unit’s efficiency by blocking airflow.
3) Check for refrigerant leaks: Low levels of refrigerant in your system can cause it to run inefficiently and lead to higher energy bills. Have a professional check the system for any possible leaks before recharging it with additional coolant.
4) Inspect fan blades: Make sure that the fan blades on your outdoor condenser unit are free from dirt, dust, and debris. Also, check that they’re not damaged or bent as this can affect their performance.
5) Tighten all electrical connections: Check all electrical connections on the unit and tighten them if necessary. If you notice any frayed wiring, replace it immediately as this can be a safety hazard.
6) Check the thermostat: Make sure that your thermostat is properly calibrated to ensure that it’s working properly. This will help you keep your home at a comfortable temperature without wasting energy.
7) Clean condenser coils: Over time, the condenser coils on your outdoor unit can become clogged with dirt and dust which makes them less efficient. To help restore their performance, clean the coils regularly using a brush or vacuum cleaner.
8) Test the system: Have a professional run test on the system to check for any other potential issues like worn-out parts or low refrigerant levels. This can help prevent costly repairs down the line.
9) Install a programmable thermostat: Installing a programmable thermostat can help you save energy and money by allowing you to set your AC to run only when you need it.
10) Schedule an annual maintenance checkup: Have your system checked and serviced annually by a certified technician. This will ensure that all components are working properly and that any necessary repairs or replacements can be made in a timely manner.
Following these 10 tips will help ensure that your air conditioner is running efficiently and effectively all summer long. Make sure to schedule regular maintenance checks to keep your unit running smoothly for years to come. Enjoy the hot summer months with peace of mind knowing that your AC is ready for maximum efficiency!
At Fitzhugh Heating & Air, we take pride in providing quality air conditioning services and products to our customers. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help keep your AC running at its best!